you will probably want a napkin. you may drool all the way through this post. these are not only delicious – but easy, adorable, and bite-size. does life get any better than that? i think not. these are gingerbread cookie cups with white chocolate mousse and caramel filling. yep. take a second and take that all in. the flavor combination is one that i have had in my head forever and was just waiting to try out – it was just as good as i dreamed it would be. i just shared my easy white chocolate mousse using two ingredients yesterday and now you have a perfect excuse to make it!
start by making your gingerbread dough. i don’t always make mine from scratch but when i do i like this recipe. this time i will freely admit that i bought the Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough and it worked great. take a small amount and place it into a mini muffin pan. press your thumb into the center to create a dip in the dough. for most cookie cups you don’t have to do this – but i found the dough in the middle a bit gooey if you dont do this step.
when they come out of the oven and are still warm, use the back of a spoon to help form the center cavity for the filling. allow to cool and then remove them from the pan.
next, fill them with caramel. i like extra thick caramel. i also like short cuts. if you don’t want to make your caramel from scratch the best substitute is dulce de leche. i LOOOOOoooove this stuff. i use it all the time because i love the consistency. it works perfect in this recipe.
next, top it off by piping your white chocolate mousse on top.
drizzle it with a bit more caramel and some chopped white chocolate chips. HEAVEN. i mix the dulce de leche with a bit of half & half or milk until i get a good ‘drizzle’ consistency.
this is about a two bite dessert – and both bites will give you an amazing mix of flavors. i think this really is one of my favorite desserts now! perfect for holiday entertaining, filled with short cuts if you are in a pinch, and totally totally delish.
- 1 pint whipping cream (divided)
- 12 oz white chocolate
- 1 recipe your favorite gingerbread cookies (or pre-made refrigerated dough)
- ½ recipe your favorite caramel (or store bought dulce de leche)
- ¼ cup chopped white chocolate chips
- In a small sauce pan, heat ½ cup of whipping cream until simmering.
- Place white chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
- Pour simmering cream over top of the chocolate and mix until smooth and evenly melted. Set aside to cool.
- Pour the remaining pint (about 1½ cups) into a stand mixer.
- Whisk on high until soft peaks begin to form.
- Carefully fold the cooled white chocolate mixture into the whipping cream.
- Place into the refrigerator for 2 hours to set
- Place a small amount of gingerbread dough into a mini muffin pan cavity. Press the middle to create the cup shape. The dough should almost fill the cavity
- Cook according to your recipe directions
- Remove the cookie cups from the oven and immediately use the back of a spoon or a melon baller to press into the middle of the cookie to create the cup shape
- Remove the cups from the pan while slightly warm
- Once cooled, fill the cookie cup with caramel and then pipe the white chocolate mousse on top
- Drizzle the caramel over the top & sprinkle with the chopped white chocolate chips
- Note: If you are using the dulce de leche instead of caramel you will want to thin it with a splash of milk to get a 'drizzle' consistency
i love a good challenge. so when some of my blogger freinds suggested a gingerbread blog hop – i wanted in! i’m really happy with how this recipe turned out and excited to share some of thier gingerbread recipes with you too! AAANNNNNDDDD…. since we all love our readers so much there is a giveaway too! worth over $300! SWEET!!! be sure to enter at the end of the post for a chance to be a winner!!