while i originally made this Jell-O for our Avengers Party – i quickly realized how totally perfect it would as one of my 4th of july recipes! using red and blue Jell-O with coconut jello (homemade) you can make this adorable red white and blue jello dessert! your guests will LOVE it!
it probably feels like a lot of steps, and a lot of time, but if you plan to make it on a day you are home, or even over a series of days it doesn’t seem too bad! plus you can make this way in advance of the party (up to a week ahead) just make sure they are covered or the top will dry out and crack. of of my favorite things about this recipe is that its’ DAIRY FREE! most Jell-O layered desserts use sweetened condensed milk as the white layer. because of my son’s allergies, i had to come up with a different option – and coconut milk did just the trick!
- 1 (6 oz.) red jello
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 individual envelopes of unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 (3 oz.) berry blue jello
- Make red Jell-O according to package directions.
- Pour a thin layer of red Jell-O into the bottom of the cups and place them on a tray into the freezer for about 5 minutes and then into the fridge to set. The freezer will help speed along the process.
- While waiting for the red layer to set, heat coconut milk, sugar, and water in a saucepan on the stove. When warm, add 1 packet of gelatin (about ¾ Tbsp). Heat and stir until gelatin and sugar are dissolved.
- When the red layer is mostly firm, pour a thin layer of white gelatin on top. *Trick: tilt the cup and pour along the side of the cup to avoid breaking up the layer below.
- Repeat the setting and pouring process to add another red and white layer. *note: reserve about ¼ of the white jello to make the star toppers.
- To make the stars: heat the reserved white gelatin on the stovetop and add an additional envelope of gelatin. Stir and heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Line a shallow pan with plastic wrap. Spray lightly with nonstick spray. Pour the white gelatin into the pan. Place into the fridge to set.
- Make the berry blue Jell-O according to package directions.
- Add the final blue layer to the top of the cups and fill almost to the brim. Allow to fully set in the fridge.
- Remove the pan of white gelatin from the fridge. Using the plastic wrap, transfer the gelatin to a flat surface and use a small star cookie cutter to cut white gelatin stars. Place them on top of the firm blue Jell-O cups.
- Keep refrigerated and covered until ready to serve! Enjoy!
i’m sharing this idea today as a part of a MASSIVE blogger link up of red, white, and blue ideas for the 4th of july! from recipes to crafts to decor and more. everything you would ever want to create can be found in this link party! check out all the amazing ideas below! (click on them to get the full tutorial!)
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE THEM ALL!